Friday 28 May 2010

Grubbins Wood (New Barns, Arnside) and Whitecreek & Gait Barrows


I decided to-day to check out Grubbins Wood at Hale Barnes, Arnside. I immediately checked out Pickles Meadow at the start of the circular walk and did have some interesting species eg: Tormentil, Bluebell, Lords and Ladies, Ramsons, Garlic Mustard, Herb Robert, Ladies Mantle, Crosswort, Speedwell, Dock, Red Clover, Cowslip, Bistort, and one or two others I havnt been able to identify at present.

Birds: Green Woodpecker yaffling nearby, Jays squabbling, Several Bullfinch, Goldcrest party, Song Thrush and Blackbirds feeding off the Woodland floors.


One of the most striking features was the massive carpetting of Ramsons which covered almost one side of the western woodland banking (see photo). Also interesting was this fungi (right photo) which was cream in colour and about 6 or 7" diameter - found at the base of a fallen tree (probably Yew Tree)

After perhaps one hour I left Grubbins and had the short walk through the Caravan site to the Whitecreek Bay. Here I had Salad Burnet and another flower yet to identify ........ (see photos).


On my way back home I decided to have a brief visit to Gait Barrows to see the Ladys Slipper Orchids and to check out the Duke of Burgundys, but none seemed to be flying today, it was a little dull and windy at times, although I did have one or two Whites showing. Some of the Ladys Slippers where absolutely stunning (see photo).

Whilst at the Ladys Slipper Orchids, I was talking to a couple of interesting guys who had travelled up for the day from Lincoln, and they too where having a good time...