Friday 12 May 2017

Lovely BEECH FERNS etc etc


Today's special garden (Mossy Stones = the nickname I gave this place) and home to "Sanicle" and also to Wood Melick Grass

Friday 12th May 2017 - from Aldi Car Park - Carnforth (mid afternoon)

I watched about 7 Swifts over Carnforth Central area

Friday 12th May 2017 - Hutton Roof (East Side) 0930hrs to 1300hrs

Today I checked out the East sides of Hutton Roof above Kelker and before the Rakes to try and ascertain if a regular Redstart had come back,  and also to check out a couple of Garden Warblers, a regular Yellowhammer and several Tree Pipits.  Well I must say I was a little disappointed because I had none of them calling at any of the regular spots. Although very thick with Chiffchaff (the two regulars) and lots of Willow Warblers.  I will try and cover the same ground in a week or so. I was lucky enough to see 3 Linnets flying over Hutton Roof at the point nearest to Whinn Yeates.

Yet it was never too much because I did manage to see some regular Beech Ferns coming through which in themselves were spectacular! its a good population which I have had mapped out for a couple of years now and I would say they measure over a area of at least 3 metres.  The Sanicle is coming through at regular stops along the shaded woodland route.  Checked out Mossy Stones and within the lovely Wood Melick grass is coming through well along with even more sanicle.

I noticed a flattened down area in the bracken were obviously a badger/badgers had been present with lots of tufts of badger hair about and wondered what had been going on (see photos below).  I thought maybe it had been doing some moulting, but there again I think perhaps being a little more realistic had two badgers been fighting! and It also crossed my mind that even something more sinister had gone on! (I really hope not!).

Here are some of the photos from today:

Wood Melick Grass (Click over to enlarge)
"Sanicle" a plant of shady woodland (Click over to enlarge)
Beautiful Beech Fern now coming through (Click over to enlarge)

Young Beech Ferns coming through - what little beauties! (Click over to enlarge)
Badger Fur - Whats been going on?  (Click over to enlarge)

Badger Fur (close up) (Click over to enlarge)
Rigid Buckler Fern at the base of the limestone (Click over to enlarge)