Tuesday 22 May 2012

Spring Sandwort and Catch ups.


0545-0700hrs. Another fabulous day in store, already (0746hrs) the sun is crackling the flags!!
On way around this morning I had Chiffchaffs, Lee singing away at Thornleigh, and Slap near Slape Lane, and finally I had Claw near to Clawthorpe Hall. Also had a Goldcrest singing away at the top of Thornleigh. Also a new to me Willow Warbler to book down which was singing to the West side of Pipers Lane in Clawthorpe.

1000hrs-1400hrs. Up through Dalton and on to the Common and back.
On the way up through Dalton, I had the usual Blackcaps and Willow Warblers and a Garden Warbler at the top of the Crags. On my way back down the Crags later I also had a Common Redstart singing. Also had a couple of Lesser Whitethroats intermittently singing from various points in Dalton (upper/deforested). At one time one of the little birds was perched on the uttermost branch of the "Shrike" tree. The more I think about it, I am now sure there could be up to about three pairs near to this area. Also had the Cuckoo calling from its usual points.

Also Peacock and Speckled Wood Butterflies.
But when I got well up on the Common I found a super colony of the rare Spring Sandwort. Well that was it, I just had to start doing some counting and mapping out, and got completely lost with time. I have uploaded four photos of the rare Spring Sandwort (see photos above)