Saturday 23 February 2013

Red - poll needed the Ice Breaker

Thr and Fri Feb 21st and 22nd 2013 - Diary Sketch
On my way up through Dalton Crags to Hutton Roof summit, I have found it necessary during these past few freezing mornings to break up the ice and remove it from the cattles drinking trough, easily attained with my well worn "walking stick", the ice has ranged between 3/4" to 1 1/4" thick.

Today I was doing it on the Dalton trough, and it obviously makes such a racket breaking up the ice. Within minutes I could hear from over the nearby wall and from within Lancelot even more cattle, and they had started "mooing" away, which obviously had only started on account of hearing the noise of breaking ice.  I got the immpression they where actually communicating and telling me in their language, that they also wanted their ice breaking up. So I then went over into Lancelot and started breaking and clearing the ice on their trough too.  Within minutes of me breaking their ice, they were participating in taking a drink.